India’s individual Olympic medallists after Independence
Since independence, India has produced a total of 13 individual Olympic medallists. How much do you know about all of them? Here’s one list you need to know ahead of Rio2016:
- K. D. Jadhav: Wrestling ,Bronze medal 1952, Helsinki
He Started Wrestling at the age of 5 . He Finished 6th at the 48th Olympics in London,
Finished 3rd at 52 Olympics, Helsinki. Later He Became a Police constable till 1982.
- Leander Paes: Tennis, Bronze medal 1996, Atlanta
Leander Paes is First Indian Olympian to win an individual medal in 44 years.
He is also First Indian to appear in six consecutive Olympics .Won the Junior Wimbledon title at the age of 17. He won Grand Slams: 8 double and 10 mixed double titles.
- Karnam Malleswari : Weightlifting ,Bronze medal,2000 Sydney
Karnam was First Indian to win individual Olympic medal. He was World champion in 1994 and 1995.
- Rajyavardhan Rathore: Double Trap Shooting, Silver medal ,2004 Athens
He is the 1st Olympics silver medallist winner from independent India. He Won over 20 medals between 2002 and 2006. Recipient of 1990 Sword of Honour from the IMA
Currently serving country as Cabinet minister.
- Abhinav Bindra : 10 m Air Rifle, Gold medal, 2008 Beijing
Abhinav is Indian to win individual Olympic gold medal in the history of India.
He Was as Arjuna awardee at the age of 18.In 2009 he was awarded the Padma Bhushan .
He will be the flag bearer for India at Rio 2016.
- Vijendar Singh: Boxing(Middleweight), Bronze medal,2008 Beijing
1st Indian pugilist to win a Bronze Medal at the 2008 Olympics
He was world number one in the middleweight category in 2009
He went pro in 2015 and currently has 6-0 win/loss ratio.
- Sushil Kumar: Freestyle wrestling ,Bronze- 2008 Beijing, Silver-2012 London
He is India’s only athlete to have won 2 individual medals at two different Olympics .
He was the flag bearer for India in London 2012
In 2010 Commonwealth Games He was Voted most popular athlete .
- Vijay kumar: 25m Pistol Shooting ,Silver medal 2012Londo
He is a serving Subedar Major in the Indian Army.
He Won the gold medal at both 2006 and 2016 Commonwealth Games
- Saina Nehwal: Badminton,Bronze-2012 London
First Indian female badminton player to win an Olymic medal
She is the First Indian female to become world number 1 in badminton.
10. M.C. Mary Kom : Boxing(flyweight), Bronze -2012 London
She is From Manipur ,She had to hide her training from her parents who were into agriculture.
A mother of two children, She runs her own boxing academy . She is A five-time world Boxing Champion.
- Yogeshwar Dutt: Freestyle wrestling, Bronze-2012 London
His parent wanted him to follow their footsteps to become a school teacher.
He won gold at the 2010 Commonwealth Games right after a Knee Surgery.
- Gagan Narang: Air Rifle shooting, Bronze-2012 London
He is the Winner of eight gold medals at the Commonwealth Games.
He was awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratan award in 2010
Cover Image source
[expand title=”Disclaimer”]We do not own and do not claim to own all the images appearing on our website and Facebook page. The images belong to their respective owners, who have copyright over them. The images are taken from various different sources. If you feel that any image violates your copyright, please write to [email protected] to have it taken down.[/expand]